17 January 2013

Use it or Lose it: Field Study Strip Quilt

After a (basically Fall-long) break from sewing, I gave myself a treat: permission to use my recent stash favorites: some prints from Anna Maria Horner's Field Study line. 

After all, I figured, I can put them to better use by creating with them than they'll get from sitting in the cupboard. In this quilt, they're helped out by some gray solid and a print from her Innocent Crush line, too.


I've always appreciated the simplicity of the strip quilts at Film in the Fridge, and love how they allow fabrics to shine.


And, if there were ever any fabrics that can stand alone and just SHINE, they're these!




I rarely use so many fabrics from just one line, but these prints are so wild and fascinating: both from afar and up close. I'm not a fabric gusher, usually, but, well, these just do it for me. I think it is rare to find fabrics that inherently inspire your work, even without a specific pattern or end product involved.  


As to the quilt: it measures about 41x47 inches, and is backed in a large-scale moth print pieced together with some gray. (Moths, not butterflies, of course.  Even the background is moth-print...)


I bound it in one of my favorite gold Denyse Schmidt Picnic and Fairgrounds prints, and quilted simple horizontal lines on either side of each seam.


Fair warning: this is just the beginning since it's still snowing... and I'm not done with these fabrics yet. Since there are no babies around, this one's in the shop.


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.. gorgeous fabrics! I love how the strips really lets the prints shine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the simplicity of it ~ really features the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt. I love the blog Film in the Fridge too. I need to quilt my strippy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely stunning!! I love it. I have 24 FQs of Field Study and can't decide how to use it - the line really needs to be allowed to shine although as you say, it will shine whether we like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this .... i love the quilting most with the verticle strips on each line xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now you're the second blogger I've seen making strip quilts today -- I feel left in the dark! I must go find this Film in the Fridge blog to find out what started the strip quilting craze... and then I must cut some strips of my own!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!